Re: Midget 5 Speed Gearbox

To: Mark Endicott <endicott@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Midget 5 Speed Gearbox
From: Tom Shirley <tshirley@VoyagerOnline.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 21:15:25 -0400
Mark Endicott wrote:

> I talket to Bill Perry at Rivergate Restorations today regarding the
> Datsun 210 5 speed conversion for the Midget.  It sounds like a good
> idea to me.  Has anyone on the list done this mod and if so, what do you
> think about it?

Hello Mark and MGers

I have known Bill for about 7 years now. He is a good friend of mine and
a neighbor. If anyone knows Spridgets, Bill does. He used to race them
in the 60s. He stopped to raise a family and is now retired and living
the good life. He dabbled in vintage racing in 93, 94 and 95 in a
beautiful blue Bugeye and won 12 of the 13 races he entered. He was the
HSR class champ in the 1 liter class. BTW, that Bugeye is for sale and
if you want to win, this car is ready. He and his son now race a Midget
in SCCA Improved Touring D class. I also raced a Formula Vee and Bill
was extremely helpful in my getting started. He even loaned me the
Bugeye to complete the driving school at Road Atlanta. I put an hour and
a half on the car and it handles like a dream. I'd buy it if I had the
bucks.

As for the 5 speed kits. I have a 71 with the kit in it. Talk about a
blast to drive. The 5 speed makes the car come alive. Smooth shifting,
better ratios and more longevity from the gearbox. Plus better mileage
and less RPMs going down the highway when in 5th. The kit is a bolt in
operation and the instructions couldn't be simpler. Bill offers
excellent support and service and I can say truthfully that he is a
honest man and a true craftsman. The kits really look first class. Plus
you can save a little by contacting him directly at (423) 332-2030 or by
e-mail at
102335.2063@compuserve.com
You won't be sorry.

. Tom Shirley                                     .
. Sale Creek, TN (just north of Chattanooga)      .
. 72 Datsun 510 2 dr (the race car)               .
. 71 MG Midget                                    .
. http://www.Geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/5848   .