Re: MGB Front supension mods.

To: Lewis <wdlewis@wf.net>
Subject: Re: MGB Front supension mods.
From: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 14:17:00 -0700 (PDT)
The higher spring rate springs are shorter too...
 ----------
From: mgs-owner
To: Lewis
Cc: mgs@autox.team.net
Date: Thursday, September 18, 1997 11:06AM

Lewis wrote:

> I have a '77 rubber bumper B. I've rebuilt the entire front
> suspension including new rack & pinion unit, polyurethene A-arm
> bushings, new lower A-arms, along with new swivel hubs, kingpins,
> bearings etc. In other words, the whole lot.
>
> The car drove and handled much better then when bought from
> the PO. (It was so bad that the steering wheel would not come
> back to center during a turn: seized distance tube/kingpins).
> With the rebuilt front end as a baseline I decided to lower the
> front by a spring change (#480 rate) and install a Spax shock
> kit at the same time.
>
> Now that all the changes are done, I'm not that happy with the
> overall performance. My main problem is that there is a 'thump'
> that I can hear (slightly) and feel through the steering wheel. It
> seems to occur mostly on the down-stroke of the suspension.
> The lowered coil springs introduces a lot of negative camber
> onto the spindles/wheels/tires. How bad is this on the kingpin
> bushs and other stressed components? I'm not worried about
> tire wear.
>
> Has anyone else been this route and had the same problem?
> My goal is to prep the car for DSP class auto_x.  Right now I'm
> running HS class, but would like to lower the car to c/b height
> which makes it 'not stock anymore'.

Lewis,
The "thump" you're hearing and feeling is probably the suspension
bottoming out on the bump stop.  The May/June 97 issue of the Octagon
discusses ride heights and how shortened bump stops must be used for the
suspension to work.  I can fax you a copy of the article if you don't
have it.

Question to the listers.  Shouldn't you use a shorter spring to lower
the car rather than a different rate?  Is a #480 stiffer or softer than a
standard spring?  I'm guessing it is softer if it lowers the car but
doesn't that defeat the purpose of the lowering?  Maybe a shorter,
stiffer spring?

Craig Brallier

75 MGB
76 MGB