MGB Fuel Gauges

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGB Fuel Gauges
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 19:22:57 +0000
Fed up with gauges on both cars that were inaccurate at both full and
empty I did some poking around.  I discovered that the gauge has two
adjuster holes beside the terminal posts, they may be covered by cork
plugs.  Each is a slot with rounded ends, and if you insert a suitable
shaped implement and twist, you can adjust the pointer.  Make sure the
implement you use to adjust the gauge is a good fit, they are stiff and
using something slightly too small can round out the slots, as I found
when practising on a scrap gauge.

I used just the one at the 'E' end to set the empty position (ignition
on, gauge connected, just out of fuel), then used the adjuster on the
voltage stabiliser to set the full position (ditto but just filled up).
This adjustment will affect the other electrical gauges, where fitted.

I now have a gauge that reads E about 30 miles before it runs out of
petrol.  Incidentally, this is about when the transmitter hits its end
stop.  I did consider trying to adjust this as well, to give more
travel, but decided against it as the transmitter is quite fragile.

PaulH.