68 Midget Trans Oil ?

To: MGs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: 68 Midget Trans Oil ?
From: "Brian L. Chaffins" <bchaffin@shutter.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 97 17:55:09 -0400
Hi,

I'm trying to find out what oil is recommended for the Midget gearbox ? The
manual says 20W50, but I thought someone once told me to use 80/90w like the
rear end ?

My wife just purchased me a 68 Midget this summer for my 40th birthday. I
have rediscovered how much I enjoyed working on them. I owned a 69 Sprite
when I was 17 and I guess I must have talked about it alot to her.

This car is in fair shape, very little rust around the rear wheels, fair
interior, but the person must have been a mechanical idiot. So far I've
spent the summer replacing hardware that was simply missing. I was told the
brakes were bad. Most of that problem was putting the bolts back in the
master cylinder.

The engine backfires out both the exhaust and the carbs when I reach speeds
over 45mph. I think the valves are bad ? Any other ideas ?

Thanks
Brian