Re: MGB tire sizes

To: John Steczkowski <stecz@pswtech.com>
Subject: Re: MGB tire sizes
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 09:22:54 -0500
John Steczkowski wrote:

> The tires on my MGB are so old (and mismatched, which really bugs me),
> that I'd like to replace them. My choices are:
>
> 2) upgrade to 185/70/14, small choice of performance tires (continental
> is about it). I also might just put BFG touring T/As on it and have less
> performance but a smoother ride.

Dunlop has their D65 Touring tire in 175/70x14. It's an S-rated tire.You can
see it at the Tire Rack URL (where the price is $46):
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/dunlop/du_d65.htm

>From the TireRack search, there are a lot of 185/70/14 performance tires.

> 3) go with 195/60/14s

I personally think that 65 or 60 series tires are wasted on a 'B'. It will
certainly look neater but I don't think it will handle better until you add
wheel width. The closer the section width of the tire is to wheel width, the
better the handling. If the wheel is too narrow, the radials will just roll
over on the bead. Also, unless your 'B' motor has been tricked, it ain't
gonna spin 70 series tires, let alone anything wider.

Bob Allen, Kansas City
'69CGT w/195HR60x15 Pirelli P6s on 6 inch rims (great).
'75TR6 w/215HR65x15 Pirelli P300s on 5.5 inch rims (mediocre).