Red River Romp ( wasMGA moments )

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Red River Romp ( wasMGA moments )
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 21:52:06 -0500
Kevin Sullivan wrote:

> To be sure.  This past weekend in Red River my wife and I were the only
> team out of 41 cars to run the entire rally (160 miles) topless.  47
> degrees F, raining like hell.  YEEEE HA!

Oh, yeah!  Just got back from this little event myself.  Just under 1600
miles total round trip, including the 179 miles on the rally (OK, so we
turned around and backtracked a little for answers - but never got
lost).  The event was hosted by the British Automobile Owners
Association in New Mexico, and they do know how to put together a
serious rally.  Kevin ain't kiddin about the temp and the rain and the
fact that they ran it topless.  In fact, they received a trophy for that
achievement.  My wife and I started with the top down, but about 20
miles into it, the rain was coming down so hard, the answer sheet was
getting soggy.  {BTW, Kevin, how did you manage to keep the answer sheet
from falling apart?} We put the top up for a while, then down for a
while, and had to finish the last 20 miles top up again.  Beautiful
scenery, when you could see it through the fog.  Most of the run was
6,000 feet and above, with Bobcat Pass at 9,820 feet.  A great variety
of cars.  Two Aston-Martins - a DB3 and a DB5 owned by Rocky from this
list - both truly beautiful examples of their marque.  A TVR 2500, a
stately Jag Mark 10, lots of MGs, Triumphs, Austins, a Jensen Healey,
lots more I'm forgetting right now.  Anyone interested in a really fun
All-British event, plan on attending next years event in New Mexico.
The hospitality and the scenery is unforgettable.  I know I'll be there!
--
Wayne Kube
Plano, TX