MGC/B Trannys

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: MGC/B Trannys
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 22:48:05 +0100
For my next trick, I managed to remove all the bulky and pesky iron from
the transmission. The thing is actually looking pretty good. The reason
for the work was no 2nd gear synchro and that one was, in fact, cracked.

As I understand it, broken synchros are par for the course for these
transmissions. Or am I missing something? The clearences were right and,
accept for some looseness in the laygear end float, the tranny is
looking pretty good. Any sage advice?

The plan is to replace the first motion shaft (input, front) bearing on
general principles as well as the laygear needle bearings. Four new
syncrhos and the o-ring kit for the overdrive.

Anyone got a favorite to-do list when they're in there?

Incidently, the 'C' (and 'B') tranny ain't near as bad as the Midget.
Things are smaller in the Midget and there is all them little needle
bearings to deal with under the gears. Only one locktighted spanner nut
at the front of the output shaft. NBD.

--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)
"However, I must agree with Bob Allen" -- Larry Unger, Sept. 15, 1997