Easy way to prime rebuilt engine

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Easy way to prime rebuilt engine
From: John Middlesworth <jape@email.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 09:10:55 -0400 (EDT)
I have an idea about how to prime my freshly rebuilt engine and I thought
I'd see if anyone else has done it and if there are any drawbacks.

I want to avoid scuffing up my new camshaft so I plan to get everything in
place in the engine bay but hold off on installing lifters and pushrods.
Then I'll take out the spark plugs and turn over the engine until I get
decent oil pressure.  Then it's a matter of putting in the plugs, lifters
(with plenty of cam lube) and pushrods and trying to start the engine for
real.  It sounds like a very practical plan, but am I missing something?

John Middlesworth