Re: Vehicle ID

To: ggraham@edcen.ehhs.cmich.edu
Subject: Re: Vehicle ID
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 17:51:02 EDT
Hi Graham,
  Lindsay Porter's MGB Guide to Purchase and DIY Restoration gives these
codes for identification:
  1st numeral indicates make  -  G = MG
  2nd numeral   engine type          H = B series engine
   3rd                   body type             N = tourer; D =GT
   4th                   series                   5 = third series MGB
   5th             market destination   U = USA
   6                model year                 E = 1974  A=1970, B=1971,
C='73 etc
Porter says that this car would have had the rubber bumpers, raised ride
height, single Zenith-Stromberg, hazard warning light, door mirrors,
servo brake assist, LH type OD with .82 gearing, single 12v battery,
catalytic converter for CA cars.
 However, one page after that page of info, he says that the 1975 cars
came with the single Zenith-Stromberg.  You may have one of the "1974
1/2" cars, which were fitted with the twin SUs .
 I can't find any reference to this engine in his book, so haven't
answered your question at all.  When you figure this out, please share
the information.
 As to the strap, you need the strap for the cars with raised ride
height, the "rubber bumper" cars.
Bob