Re: Engine weights/was how about a real V8!

To: smrm@coastalnet.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Engine weights/was how about a real V8!
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 19:04:58 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-09-23 16:58:02 EDT, smrm@coastalnet.com writes:

> I want to be an open and trusting fellow, but 55 pounds sounds suspect.
>  Plus, what kinda bucks go into the Ford engine you've used as your
example?
>  Plus, who really wants 320 HP in a TR6 or MGB without many more $$$ in
>  brakes and suspension. What does even 55 lbs do to handling when it's
stuck
>  out over the front wheels like that?

Michael:

Evidently, you missed one sentence in my previous post. I quote it below:

"keep in mind, the BOP/Rover engine weighs less than
the stock B, so the final configuration with the Ford would be about as
stock."

The 55 pounds was in comparison to a BOP/Rover engine, not the stock B. In
the TR6, the engine/transmission weighs 25 pounds LESS than stock. What does
adding an air conditioning unit do to the weight balance of a car? No one
seems to have any problem with this.

My post was not meant to be a treatise on engine swapping. You are right, it
is a lot more complicated than that. Who wants a 320 HP TR6? I do. I'm
building one. If I don't do anything at all to upgrade the suspension and
brakes, it will still handle and brake better than any that still has the
2500CC six cylinder engine and stock brakes and suspension, because the
engine not only weighs less, it is also placed further to the rear, and
lower, than the stock engine.

What kind of bucks went into my Ford 302? Too many, I'm afraid. Way too many!

Where did I get the 55 pound figure? I weighed the Ford and the Triumph
engines myself. The weight of the BOP/Rover came from David Hardcastle's book
on the BOP/Rover engine.

> Reminds me of the Monty Python lessons on building a bridge, "You
> start on one side, and go all the way over to the other."

Believe me, I have done a considerable amount of research on this project.
Luckily, for those who want to do an MGB V8 conversion, all the research has
been done. If you choose to, you can take advantage of that reasearch, and
the project becomes fairly straight forward. There is even a book out, giving
precise details of the swap. Inserting a Ford would be a bit more of a
challenge. Of course, that doesn't mean that every one who makes the
BOP/Rover swap has it easy. Most prople who do this, do it because they like
the challenge, and want to do it their own way!

Please, don't try to get us to thinking too rationally and logically. If you
do too good a job of that, we may all wind up selling all of our LBCs, and
getting something a lot more practical. No rational person would own one of
them. Would they?

Without a little craziness in our lives, what's the point!

Dan, a little bit middle-age crazy,  Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74