C reviews, why bad?/ was Engine weights...

To: mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: C reviews, why bad?/ was Engine weights...
From: The Richards <smrm@coastalnet.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 10:48:25 -0500
At 09:02 AM 9/24/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Actually I wonder what the deal was back then. I think BL must of pissed off
>the press. All of the road tests were subjectively negative of the car. I
>think the press decided to hate it before they ever drove one. 'Club' reviews
>in the following decade had them all back-peddling like mad.

Probably it was preconceptions. Most all the automotive press saw the main
deficiency of the B as a lack of horsepower. They probably anticipated the C
as simply a B with more umph. Well, it had more umph, but was not simply an
'improved' B. It's purpose (and probably not the original intent of
Abingdon) had been changed altogether. From nimble sportscar to long-legged
tourer.
 Opinions on cars often change when the criteria for approval changes. Note
the MGB V8, one of the complaints at its launch -- dated interior-- now make
it preferable to many of the competitors with which it was current. And what
about the TF? From last gasp of the T series, to T series pinnacle.
Disappointingly modern to T series buffs of the era, disappointingly
antiquated to the general public -- now its just 'real purty'.
 Probably these auto-press folk were first introduced to the C with a short
jaunt, maybe some skidpad and slalom testing (all the while thinking, more
powerful B). Later they were able to take longer cruises, weekend touring
etc... and suddenly they think, "Hey, this ain't half bad!"

Michael, New Bern, NC