Garage Layout

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Garage Layout
From: Williams/MG Guy <mgguyc100@newedge.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 19:53:57 -0600 (MDT)
Bought the book mentioned some years ago before having my garage designed &
built. Got some interesting tips..

- 220 cicuit for heat - ceiling mounted warehouse-style unit
- 110 running through 220 wiring for compressor - dedicated plug
- outlet plugs every 8 feet on 3 walls, chest height
- outlet plugs on ceiling (4) - for automatic reel trouble lamp (Noma),
extension cords etc.
- each set of plugs on separate circuits
- installed dryer vent in foundation - acts as exhaust duct to outside if
running car with garage door closed, doubles as vent from small spray booth..
- re: spray booth - built to have a place to spray model cars & smaller
parts during restorations. Using cheap metal shelving, created a 4' square
box (sides made of plywood) attached bathroom exhaust fan to rear (of unit)
- Wired to standard light switch. Works rather well actually..total cost -
about 45 bucks.
- garage is 26 X 28. Fits 3 Bs nicely. (When I had 3) Now with 2 - can swing
cat around (oh NO - not a thread!) Actually can have cars side by side with
doors open, and room to walk around 'em.
- lottsa shelving
- lottsa peg-board for hanging 'stuff'
- BIG workbench..entire width of garage, 4 feet deep, slightly higher than
counter height. Gives lots of storage underneath. Bench mounted vice.
- use a metal shelf unit for all combustables/chemicals (spray paint, oils,
rust removers etc.)
- four banks of 4', 2 tube overhead floresents, two switches allows
illumination of either side, or all of garage
- lots of outside parking
- lots of outside lighting
- Octagonal window (natch!)
- 1 1/2 garage door
- outside entry man-door (person-door?)
- heavyduty security & alarms - smoke & CO2
- 2X6 R20 construction
- cold water supply
- stereo, tape player
- lots of wall-mounted automobilia, 90% MG releated
- nice place to be on cold winter nights - hell, anytime - after all the
years of compromise - I finally have my ultimate space!

The garage is attached to the house, so the entrance is from a small hallway
that used to be a small storage room. Other side of wall is our modeling
room (Cars,.. not fashion...I'm too sexy...)

Garage cost me about 20K.

Neighbours have wondered if it's a shrine!

Terry 'garage-o-my-dreams' Williams
'70 BGT
'68 roadster