Arrrggggghhhhh! -WAS: LONG -> Tranny Mounts, the poke twist and

To: schooler@erols.com (Bill Schooler)
Subject: Arrrggggghhhhh! -WAS: LONG -> Tranny Mounts, the poke twist and
From: Nory@webtv.net (Nory)
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 11:04:11 -0400
Bill's story reminds me of a similar forgetfulness on my own part
(though not as bad as having to pull an engine again) -

When doing a tune-up once, I noticed the ground wire on the dist. looked
pretty worn and flimsy, so decided to replace it before it breaks on
it's own.  It took a grand total of five minutes to do this.  Then I
went on to finish with the points, condenser, cap, plugs, wires.....
Got everything back together and the car wouldn't start.  I figured one
of the new parts must be defective so, using my handy-dandy Lucas
electrical fault diagnosis manual and my portable tester, I attempted to
track down the problem.  I even bought another coil and another set of
wires, but everything pointed to the dist. as being the problem.  I
decided to remove/rebuild it the next day.  While studying my manual
that night to familiarize myself with the dist. components, I noticed a
picture showing that wire I had replaced, and immediately realized I had
reconnected it wrong.  Went out the next morning, connected it
correctly, and she fired right up, after two days of being
incapacitated.  The SO was so impressed that I was able to fix the
problem after studying the manual that night, and never even had to call
any MG buddies for help....  I never let on that the problem was that I
forgot where a wire went five minutes after I removed it.  Got away with
that one.

Felt like an idiot but, fortunately, didn't look like one.  Cool.

-NORY
Don't assume that because you have found one problem, you have found the
ONLY problem.

 '74 Midget & '71 parts car
 '94 Ford Ranger
 '86 Ford Escort