RE: Dash Lighting

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Dash Lighting
From: Paul.Kile@Aerojet.com (KILE, PAUL D)
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 14:05:06 -0700
I managed to check out the instrument lights in a 1977 B roadster, and
they actually were BRIGHT!  They looked like a modern car.  I got hold
of a 1977 speedo and disassembled it to compare with an early speedo,
and the main difference is the reflective paint used on the inside of
the housing.  The early speedos have a sky blue paint over part of the
housing, very poor light reflectivity.  The later speedo had a very
bright white paint over the entire inside of the housing.  To give the
lights a bit of green tint, there was a dome shaped green lens over the
light socket.

Here's the solution.  I would take your gauges apart and paint the
insides of the housing with Krylon gloss white.  I wouldn't worry about
the green lons, if the light is too bright, turn down the rheostat or
color the bulb green with stained glass paint.

Cheers, PK