Re: Rebuilding an MGB engine

To: Dave Houser <mgs4dave@warwick.net>
Subject: Re: Rebuilding an MGB engine
From: Truxtun Southworth <tsouthworth@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 20:42:35 +0000
Dave Houser wrote:

> Just dropped of my 67 BGT original block and am having it rebuilt. I
> want to bore it out to 1840 for a little more power without sacrificing
> reliability. Heard too many horror stories from folks who have nothing
> but overheating problems from boring out too much for power gains. Want
> all the parts balanced, of course.
> What else should I request be done at this time?
> Appreciate all advice on this matter.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave Houser
Hi Dave,

I think the key word here is reliability and it sounds like your on the
right track.  I'd suggest a slightly hotter cam, maybe something like
quarter race.   Don't forget to replace the cam bearings.  You already
have a dual timing gear but Iąd certainly replace it all, the chain, the
tensioner and the gears.  Check the rods for length and straightness.
Check the bearing surfaces for true ovalness, they may need to be recut.
New main bearings, new rod bearings.
I'd put some time and money into the head, besides grinding the valves,
replace the rocker shaft and the bushings.  Over the summer I asked the
list for advice on doing a valve job specifically the benefits of
polishing the ports.  I got back a lot of good advice and can send you
copies of the posts if you send me a fax number.  You might also talk to
the folks at Brit -Tek, they spent a lot of time with me over the phone
when I did my engine and they gave me some good advice especially when
it came time to select a cam.
BTW it sounds like the GOF was fantastic,sorry we had to miss it.  See
you on the 18th.

Tuck
70 MGB hers
55 MGTF mine & hers