Re: Picklestein-help bring him back to health!

To: Teacher122@aol.com
Subject: Re: Picklestein-help bring him back to health!
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 23:59:22 -0400
Teacher122@aol.com wrote:
> (Yes, I did try switching wires- this is a #1 spark phenomina).
>  While the engine was in the shop, I cleaned the distributor(original Lucas I
> believe), and I did move the gap between the timing rotor and the impulse
> pickup.

  Any chance the distributor cap is damaged? Like missing
the metal tooth for cylinder #1? If you put the cap on
backwards, does #1 still fail or does some other cylinder
fail? (I guess it would be 4)

> I suspect that I will have to readjust this.  Does anybody have a
> procedure and/or the gap specs?

  Put a feeler gauge in between the pickup and the rotor. Loosen
the pickup, and move it until it slightly squeezes the feeler
gauge. Tighten the screw.

  I don't have the size of the feeler gauge required here, but
it's in my manual in the car I can check tomorrow if you like.

  Also, check if the "magnet rotor" that the pickup is reading
off if. See if it is really warped, or missing a pole, or
some other reason why cylinder 1 would be different than
any other.

  Those original distributors are really bad, I have a
pertronix in mine now. But normally they just fail all
over, not just on one cylidner.

> I also adjusted the choke(For the life of me,
> I haven't figured the effect of that strange contraption).

  It does two things. It opens more "jets" to allow
more fuel to get sucked into the airstream, the more
you open the choke the more holes are uncovered and
the more gas can flow. Also, the cam on the outside
raises the idle speed by opening the throttle.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada