Re: 5 speed MGB Box?

To: smrm@coastalnet.com
Subject: Re: 5 speed MGB Box?
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 19:51:27 EDT
On Wed, 01 Oct 1997 17:34:37 -0500 The Richards <smrm@coastalnet.com>
writes:
>At 05:14 PM 10/1/97 -0400, you wrote:
>>I've seen it!! I don't remember how much the 6-speed cost though,
>but, it's
>>dog engagement? What's that mean, no clutch?? Would someone explain??
>Thanks!
>>                       _-Wiz-_
>>
> I know 'dog leg' is used to describe any gear away from the 'cluster'
>pattern. A dog-leg first could be thus:
>
>  1st---
>       -
>       - 2nd    4th
>         -      -
>         -      -
>        3rd    5th
>
> Any odd numbered gear box has some sort of dog-leg, or at least any
>conventional gear box.
>
>Michael, New Bern, NC
Good try, Michael but not quite. Dog engagement refers to the internals
of the tranny, rather than the shift pattern.
 A dog engagement gearbox is one in which the engagement of the various
gears is by a series of undercut "dogs" on the face(s) of the gears, as
opposed to the use of syncro rings in most street gearboxes.
 In stead of using the syncro rings to pull the driven gear up to speed
with the drive gear and avoid crashing the gears, a "dog box" actually
jerks the driven gear up to speed. The undercut on the dogs provides a
positive lock, so to speak.
 Dog boxes generally are a bit heftier than their syncro cousins, as
there are no syncro rings to wear.  Found in the better competition
machinery, (eg. Hewland, ZF, etc)
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget