Re: dog leg firsts

To: smrm@coastalnet.com
Subject: Re: dog leg firsts
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 1997 23:36:23 EDT
On Wed, 01 Oct 1997 21:07:22 -0500 The Richards <smrm@coastalnet.com>
writes:
>At 07:51 PM 10/1/97 EDT, you wrote:
>A dog engagement gearbox is one in which the engagement of the various
>>gears is by a series of undercut "dogs" on the face(s) of the gears,
>as
>>opposed to the use of syncro rings in most street gearboxes.
>> In stead of using the syncro rings to pull the driven gear up to
>speed
>>with the drive gear and avoid crashing the gears, a "dog box"
>actually
>>jerks the driven gear up to speed. The undercut on the dogs provides
>>positive lock, so to speak.
>> Dog boxes generally are a bit heftier than their syncro cousins, as
>>there are no syncro rings to wear.  Found in the better competition
>>machinery, (eg. Hewland, ZF, etc)
>>Rick Morrison
>
>So, are 'dog-leg' first gears always 'dog engagement' boxes?
No, they refer to two entirely different things. Dog leg to the shift
pattern - dog-engagement to the methodology of gear engagement INSIDE the
tranny, which has nothing to do with the shift pattern.
 For example, there is a dog engaged tranny kit availible for the 1275
Midget. It still retains the familiar "H" pattern shifting (4 foward
speeds), but the internals are different.
>Or is a dog-leg first (or fifth, sixth, whatever) simply a descriptive
term for any
>gear outside of the main pattern (ala Porsche 914)?
That's probably the best way to put it. But frankly, I had never heard of
a "dog-leg" on a shift pattern before now.

  But then again, us poor hicks in South Carolina sometimes are a bit
late in getting the news. I'm not going to say we're way back in the
sticks, but it's so far to the main road, we carry our corn in a jar.
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget