Re: Flickering oil light

To: "Richard D. Arnold" <richard.arnold@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Flickering oil light
From: Rick Brown <mgrick@ptd.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 1997 12:33:28 -0700
Richard D. Arnold wrote:

> Miss Molly, my '79 Midget has developed the habit of flickering her oil
> light at me under these conditions:
>
> * A hot engine (after she's ran for a half-hour to forty-five minutes, no
> over heating occurs).
>
> * When she's decelerating (coming down from a higher idle under load).
> This doesn't happen from fourth to third or third to second, but
> generally from second to first, or when I decelerate to a come to a stop.
>
> * At lower idle speed (anything under 1200 to 1300).
>
> * Also, occasionally, when she is coming down hills (not steep).
>
> If I depress the throttle to bring the engine speed up (above 1200-1300),
> the light goes and stays off.
>
> About 2000 miles ago, I went through her engine and replaced rods, rings,
> rod and main bearings, lifters, and gaskets.  The oil is full, and new
> (just changed it again last week).  I use Valvoline 20W50HP Racing in
> her.  The oil filter is mounted directly to the block as the location
> adaptor was removed when at some point in the past the air pump fell off;
> the filter is not the stock number, but is of the same design and
> pressure listing.
>
> My guess is that the oil pump has simply worn out, and when the viscosity
> of the oil thins due to heat, the pump develops low pressure at a low
> idle.
>
> Can someone can offer a different explanation than that I have come to;
> ie, that her oil pump has bailed and needs replacing?  And if I need to
> replace the pump, can I do it with the engine in the car?  Any temporary
> fix ideas would be welcome also.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Rich
Hi Rich

Dont know the reason for your prob but if you have to replace the oil
pump you can definiately do it with the engine inthe car - I did it to
my 78 1500 Midget a few years ago.  Just drop the oil pan (after
draining it of course - unless you want a face full of oil!!) and take
it out - put the new one in Voila - this is a real easy fix.  BTW you
might want to get the ooil pump with the extended arm on it - the arm is
bent so that it picks up the oil from the middle of the pan instead of
the side - when cornering the sides may run dry but with the arm in the
middle you should always have oil.

Rick