Re: alumminum cyl heads

To: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: alumminum cyl heads
From: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 1997 16:33:09 -0700

> Hmmm, if I look out into the street in front of my house, 90% of the cars
> out there have steel blocks and aluminium heads.  I don't see my neighbors
> changing head gaskets much though...
> Of course, those engines were designed to have an AL head, MGs were not.
>
>     Ulix                                                    __/__,__
> .......................................................... (_o____o_)....
>                                                            '67 Sprite

I remember someone on the list saying something about the tr-7's engines.  The
effect
of the statement was the different heating and cooling properties caused the
aluminum
head to "weld" itself to the iron block...

My family got a great deal on an early 90's Sunbird because of a the properties
of an
aluminum head and block...The DPO drove the car in second gear at about 65 mph
down
the highway.  The heat, compression, high rpms caused a spark plug to explode
out of
the head.  It only needed some shimming and a new head gasket to make a total
recovery.

--
Michael S. Lishego
St. Andrews Presbyterian College