Re: "Fix Before Use" part

To: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: "Fix Before Use" part
From: palte@rt.el.utwente.nl (Bert Palte)
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 97 11:55:12 +0100
Ulix commented:

>  I would be
>perfectly willing to accept a part that needs a little fiddling to make it
>right IF the low quality is reflected in the price and IF the parts
>supplier posts this fact in the part description in the catalog.

I couldn't agree more.

Please add:....IF it is no longer available as an original part....

I think I've already posted this about a year ago or so, but I'll repeat it
here:

I would REALLY  appreciate it if a parts supplier would specify where he
sourced his parts from
(NOS, Rover parts, Taiwan, refurbished, etc.)

An example is the Britain-based electronic components mail order company
called Farnell.
They not only clearly indicate in their 2100+ page catalog  where they
source their parts from,
but they also give you the option to choose between similar products from
different manufacturers
(e.g. for a Model 555 Timer IC, you can choose from 5 suppliers! for the
same part).
I think the reason for this approach is quality control sourcing considerations.
Great!

(For you non-E.E.guys out there: A # 555 IC is about as common as a 1/4" UNF
screw on a LBC)

So: which supplier will be the first to include the source in his catalog?

Just my $0.02 worth

Bert
Holland, Europe (as opposed to Holland, Michigan, of course)

1970 MGB

Desperately seeking quality spare parts