Re: Troubleshooting TD Gearbox?

To: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Subject: Re: Troubleshooting TD Gearbox?
From: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 1997 22:44:10 -0700
Bud Krueger wrote:

> Mark Sherman wrote:
>
> > Symptom: running engine leads to rattle/vibration.
> > Gearshift seems to be a little less firm in the hand than usual.
> > Noise remains as long as engine turns, regardless of gear or neutral.
> >
> > Already ruled out: Engine compression, water pump, generator all are
> > ok.
> > (Detached fan belt and ran car without generator and water pump and
> > noise remains.)
> >
> > Question:  could noise be coming from gearbox/clutch? Where else could
> >
> > it come from?
> >
> > Any suggestions on troubleshooting this would be appreciated.
> >
> > Mark Sherman
> > '53 MGTD Supercharged (Marshall-Nordec)

Mark,
        I had a similar incident in my S-10 about a month ago.  There was a
rattle
coming from the stick shifter, and I thought the truck wouldn't shift as nice.
checked tranny oil, rear end, U-joints, all tranny and motor mounts, drained,
and
refilled the tranny to no avail.  I expected to yank the tranny and put in a
new one.
 Then, I checked the hurst shifter knob...The set screw came loose, causing a
rattle,
and the shifter knob to move...Just check the stupid stuff first...Not that I'm
comparing my S to your TD, please don't take it like that!

--
Michael S. Lishego
St. Andrews Presbyterian College