Re: MGB valve adjustment

To: Tyson Sherman <tsherman@tecinfo.com>
Subject: Re: MGB valve adjustment
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 00:53:12 +0100
Tyson Sherman wrote:

> Hi folks.  I'm trying to adjust the valves
> on my B.  I adjusted them (cold)
> so that a .015" would go thru and a
> .017" wouldn't (cold) and they are
> noisier than before.
> Before I had a few noisy (clatter) ones.
> Now they all clatter.
> What's the secret to doing this right?
> How quiet should the valvetrain be?
> Thanks,
> Tyson Sherman
> <http://www.tecinfo.com/~tsherman/index.htm>

Hey, Tyson, what a hoot! You may now have them exactly right. They are
_supposed_ to make noise! It is not uncommon to lose valve clearence. I
think it is called valve recession. What's happening is your valve seat
is getting eaten away, the valve moves up inside the head a little, and
you lose the valve clearence.

BTW -- The valve seat is being eaten away becase your driving the damn
engine too hard. Good for you! Most of the Triumph weanies seem to use a
lead substitute to protect the valve seats.

--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)