Re: 1500 Bottom End Rebuild

To: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: 1500 Bottom End Rebuild
From: "J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@utk.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 13:43:43 -0400
Adrian Jones wrote:

> Where are these famous thrust washers?  I can't see them, let alone remove

Those things are hiding at the back end of the crank, just inside the block.
There is a slot on the inside there on top, and they are not on the bottom of
the crank.  I think maybe the main bearing cap has to come off, but it has been
a few weeks since I looked at mine. There are two of them...  You have to sort
of rotate the crank and feed them in. Anyway, hope that helped, as vague as it
sounds!  I remember being confused looking at it too, so that should tell you
something.

> them.  There doesn't appear to be any slop - ie I can grab the crankshaft
> lobes (?) and try to push the thing towards the radiator or gearbox and it
> doesn't move any.  Can I leave 'em alone?  If you get the idea I'm somewhat

The Haynes manual wanted to measure drift with a feeler gauge, sliding the
crank back and forth, to determine if they needed replacement.  With my new
ones, the only thing that drifted when I moved the crank side-to-side was the
entire block.  The allowed gap was quite small, so you might want to measure
it.

Good luck,

the other adrian

--