Re: Non-MG: Castrol Super Clean - ingredients

To: Carol <car@texas.net>
Subject: Re: Non-MG: Castrol Super Clean - ingredients
From: ENRIQUE CLAURE <span@datacom-bo.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 18:02:30 -0400
At 03:44 PM 10/15/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I've received several helpful replies from listers here (Thank you all), so
>I post this to "all":
>
>I e-mailed Castrol from their website as to ingredients in Super Clean
>
>They offered to send the list of ingredients" via fax or mail, and sent
>this in the meantime:
>
>     Butoxyethanol (5 - 10%)
>     Sodium xylenesulfonate (1 - 5%)
>     Nonylphenol ethoxylate (1 - 5%)
>     Sodium hydroxide (1 - 5%)
>     Dye/fragrance (0.1 - 1%)
>     Water (balance)
>
>For all you chemists out there....
>
>Which are the offensive chemical compounds? Sodium xyle...te??
>
>Just curious....
>
>Carol

Hello All, Enrique here, the new MG owner, listee and Chemist. Sodium
Hyroxide is a dangerous substance, quite corrosive if contacted or breathed.
At 1-5% it is not very threatning but still corrosive to skin. You might
feel a tingle on your skin. Xylenesulfonate, has the xylene group in it.
Xylenes smell nice but are carcinogenic enough said. Nonylphenol also bad
for contact. If you are really into detail, check out the safty data sheets
at the ACS web site. All in all, seem to me that water is the safe one, Ha Ha!
Regards Enrique