Classics on TV

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Classics on TV
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 19:43:50 +0000
All this talk of glimpses of classics in films and on TV, and I forget
we are well blessed in the UK.

Another series of 'The Car's the Star" began this week, a different
classic each week, this one on the E-Type. These programs include
current examples plus archive footage, famous owners, funny stories from
the factory etc.  Not much techie stuff but a good watch.

The other progam is 'Heartbeat' set in mid-sixties North Yorkshire.
Some are regulars like the local Bobby's T-something and 'noddy' bike,
his fiancee's frog-eye, her Dad's Rover 100/120, the local barmaid's
Isetta, a Police Ford Pop and the 'new' 105E with the reverse
slope rear window.  We even had a collision between a Merc something
(visiting mobster) and a Hillman Minx this week.  Also a Roller - one
with the 'real' radiator, and the driver's bit of fluff in a Volvo
P1000(?) 'Saint' car.  All this and a 60's sound-track running through
it.

The local steam railway features prominently.  We visited the area a
couple of years ago and whilst taking pictures I noticed the driver
leaning out of the cab on a gloriously sunny day, with the most
beautific smile on his face.  Obviously gets them the same way as us.

In the middle of France this year, with MG, staying at a hotel and who
should be there but 'Ventris', one of the main characters, famous for
his hard-boiled eggs and being covered in fag-ash.

PaulH.