Camshaft tuning

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Camshaft tuning
From: Matt Kulka <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 09:16:45 -0400
Thanks to Bob Allen for the detailed description of Heat Treating (aka
Nitriting).  I've found two local machine shops who heat treat, but I
haven't yet called to talk about prices.  (Uh oh.)

So the scorecard stands:  Replace the head studs, heat treat the crank
after grinding.

And speaking of scoring, question three:  Since my camshaft is toast,
I'd like to replace it with a barely hotter one.  See, I hate driving
behind minivans in a car this low, so I'd like to be able to beat them
off the line.  But that isn't to say I want to have to goose the idle up
to 1500 just to keep it running.

So say I go with a Kent or Piper 270, surely this isn't the end of the
story.  What else would I need to do to get the proper performance out
of this camshaft?  New needles/jets; change of exhaust; (please don't
say it but) undished pistons or head modification?

Further, what can I expect if I install one of these - lumpy, fumy idle;
improved middle range performance at the expense of the low or high end;
increased valve train wear; hairballs? (obligatory cat content)

Again, I thank you for your kind assistance in the past (and future, I'm
sure).

Matt Kulka
'74 B - it's not a car, it's an investment.