Re: Oil flow in MGB engine -- Tech 101

To: "Barney Gaylord" <barneymg@juno.com>, <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Subject: Re: Oil flow in MGB engine -- Tech 101
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 97 12:51:28 -0400

>On Sun, 19 Oct 97 14:45:32 -0400 Larry Macy
><macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu> writes:
>>If this is
>>diff in the MG - 18V engine, somebody will say - Barney?? Lawrie??
<SNIP>
>There are more holes drilled in the block from the main bearing journals
>to the camshaft bearing journals (three or five places), so oil flows
>from the main bearing area to the cam bearings.
>
>There is also one vertical hole from the rear camshaft bearing journal
>where oil can flow upwards to the top of the block, through the head
>gasket, through the cylinder head, through the rear rocker shaft
>pedestal, and into the hollow rocker shaft.  From there the oil flows out
>through radial holes in the rocker shaft to lubricate each of the rocker
>arm bearings.  In each rocker arm there are two small drill holes.

<SNIP>
>Barney Gaylord
>1958 MGA with an attitude
Thanks for the clarification in the MG engine. I was speaking from
experience with Caterpillar and Waukesha industrial engines where the oil
flows from the pump to a gallery (Opps I said galley before) then to the
cam bearings then the crank. Actually from two seperate tubes.

As always I stand corrected from those w/ greater knowledge.

Thanks for the claification. But did it have to be so long?  ;-)

Larry Macy
78 Midget