Correction: Alternator Swap Wiring

To: DANMAS@aol.com, SteveB5815@aol.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: Correction: Alternator Swap Wiring
From: richard.arnold@juno.com (Richard D. Arnold)
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 21:57:25 EDT
In re:  my instructions on swapping alternators, Dan Masters has
corrected my error (hope no one fried their harness).

DAN> As you said, though, your memory was just a little off. The
terminals you
list below are backwards. terminal #1 goes to the brown/yellow wire, and
goes to the smaller brown wire.

MY ORIGINAL POST>  Right now I don't have Miss Molly here so I am working
from memory; I strongly urge you to double check me.  I will be visiting
her this weekend so will double check then and post any corrections.

'1' should be a red wire on the new plug-in.  This will go to the battery
position on the solenoid and needs to spliced to the smaller brown wire.

'2' should be a black or gray wire on the new-plug in.  This will go to
your indicator light and needs to spliced to the brown/yellow wire.

MY CORRECTION>  Many Thanks To Dan Masters -- I finally got to Miss
Molly's winter home last night, had class today, and forgot all about it
until this evening when I read Dan's post.  Miss Molly was quite glad to
see me, though a bit despondent at being locked all alone in a heated
garage with a security system and an armed owner on the premises.
Actually, I think I am the more despondent -- the sacrifices we make....

Anyway, Dan is quite correct, I did reverse the order of the wires on the
#1 and #2 positions; see his correction above.

FWIW, a Ford solenoid makes a more than adequate replacement if your
Lucas unit bails out....

And if the gentleman who posted the lovely description of last Sunday's
40 mile, go-for-the-paper-at-the-store-up-the-street, drive would be so
kind as to send me another copy, I would be most appreciative.

Rich
richard.arnold@juno.com