Re: Water pumps

To: barneymg@juno.com
Subject: Re: Water pumps
From: mgb.roadster@juno.com (Larry A Hoy)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 15:34:42 -0600
How about I be more specific?  Sorry for the vague reference to early vs
late model engine.

My engine is an 18GB engine, one of the early 5 main engines (18GB thru
18GK 1965-71?).  The only cast iron pump I could find fits an 18V engine
(1972-80 or maybe 1974 1/2 - 80?)?

I'm not sure but I think the pump for the 18GB is a "shorter" pump, the
fan is closer to the engine, or is that the other way around?  If the
cast iron one is "longer" there may be an issue with the radiator.
Anyway I was talking to a guy at Motorhead about his and he told me they
were different, but couldn't tell me if the cast iron one would fit on my
engine.  And now Larry D. brings up the issue of belt alignment, hadn't
even thought of that, thank Larry.  I don't have any smog equipment so
that isn't an issue.

Thanks for the info Barney, I remembered that about a year ago you did a
lot of checking on pumps for your A.

So I guess that no one out there has tried a cast iron pump on the 18GB
engine?

Steve Darby said he has them (I think that was who it was) but I
accidentally deleted his message, does anyone have his email address so I
can check this out with him?

Larry Hoy (MGB.Roadster@juno.com)
Denver, CO USA
1969 MGB Roadster
1987 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas
===============================
On Tue, 21 Oct 1997 14:57:59 EDT barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
writes:

>On Tue, 21 Oct 1997 10:04:58 EDT bugide@juno.com (Larry Dickstein)
>writes:
>
>>If I remember correctly, yes, they will all fit.  The problems arise
>when you go to hook up the smog stuff that was attached to brackets on
>the pump.  The belt alignment can be a problem as well.
>>On Mon, 20 Oct 1997 21:42:37 -0600 mgb.roadster@juno.com (Larry A
>Hoy)
>>writes:
>>>I once looked for a cast iron water pump for my B (1967 engine).  I
could only locate a cast iron one for a late >>>model engine.  .....