RE:-MGB Windshield Leak

To: BobMGT@aol.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE:-MGB Windshield Leak
From: John Bartholomew <jdb70@juts.ccc.amdahl.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 14:36:56 -0700

Bob Donahue wrote:-

>Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 00:08:58 -0400 (EDT)

>From: BobMGT@aol.com

>Subject: MGB Windshield Leak

>I just experienced my first rain storm in the MGB. There is a

>leak coming in from the lower corner of the windshield

>on the drivers side. The windshield has a new seal between

>it and the body. Can anybody recommend some brand of

>sealant and where best to apply it? Any tips for spotting

>the entry point?

>Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)

>EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM

>52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470

>71 MGB   - finally home after 2 years in shop, AMGBA #96-12029

Bob,

    Those windshield leaks are tough to locate, I would bet there is a good
chance the rain is getting in at the top of the post between the roof and frame
and running down the vent window to windshield frame seal to the dash, then you
see it!

Did you replace the body to frame seal? Were the post seals replaced also?

I have just replaced all those seals on an MGB that I am restoring and "what a
pain in the neck" that job is. I have done this 3 or 4 times on different B's
and each time I swear I will never do it again! I think I hate this step the
most of all the restoration steps.

It is important to put some sealant above and below the post seal, before
inserting the frame through the fender holes. Also as a precaution I put a
small bead of the sealant under the edge of the frame to body seal. Pay
particular attention to the area where the seal runs over the fender seam.

You can use any general purpose glass sealant, silicone as an example.

I use a NAPA product called 4121 WINDSHIELD SEAL. It is black in color, it has
the consistency of tooth paste and is extremely sticky. It dries to the touch
when exposed to air, but remains soft and pliable. It comes in a 5oz tube in a
white and green box, similar in size to a tube of tooth paste. Good luck  John.

</color>John Bartholomew Amdahl San Jose CA.

 ** 408-746-6361 07:00-16:00 PST.  **  USUAL DISCAILMERS APPLY  **

1969 MGBGT;1972 MGB;1973 MGB;1976 MGB;1979 MGB; 1974 MGB daily driver.