Re: [Non-MG] Dremel tool

To: Carol <car@texas.net>
Subject: Re: [Non-MG] Dremel tool
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 19:52:41 -0700
At 11:14 AM 10/23/97 -0500, you wrote:

>I can spend about $38. I can spend $59. I can spend $79. They come cordless
>and corded. The rpms are variable or fixed or 2-speed. The rpms vary from
>10,000 to 30,000. They come with few tools to having a complete set-up that
>includes the flexible dealie, 105 tools, a nice case, and a booklet
>entitled "175 Ways to Use Your Dremel Tool".=20

SNIP

>Any ideas out there?? Remember: working on the un-bought MGA, getting
>grunge out of niches in antique hardware, remodeling computer cases... and,
>of course, other un-thought-of uses... Bang for the buck is the goal here.=
=20

Carol,

I used to scratch build model sailing ships and I bought my Dremel for that.
I had the single speed model in a moulded case with all kinds of fancy
schmantzy bits.  I soon found I needed variable speed.  Since the Dremel is
a universal motor and it's speed is a function of voltage and load, I
plunked a $4.99 lamp dimmer (good for 600W) into a utility box and connected
up a cord set, plugged in the Dremel et voil=E1! variable speed Dremel!  Buy
the best you can find WITHOUT paying for variable speed. You can build your
own for a very few bucks if and when you need it.

(My Dremel, and a bunch of other power tools, was ripped off by some
low-life scum that forced his way into my shop. I've gone to use it oodles
of times, cursed the theives and, when I have all the car parts I need, I'm
gonna get me another one!)

Cheers,
  Ross MacPherson=20
 1947 MG-TC 3528