FW: Wd-40 dissertation (was Re: TD brake lights solved!)

To: mgs
Subject: FW: Wd-40 dissertation (was Re: TD brake lights solved!)
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 16:09:39 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE mgs@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from [Mike Lishego
<mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>]]

     Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 11:50:41 -0700
     From: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>

> > Yes, I cleaned and soaked my old switch and it worked. Don't use WD 40
> > as it contains water and will corrode again. I also purchased a new
> > switch just in case.

>         I think the problem is that there are products out there that do
> their job so well, and have been around for so long, that competitors
> are angry because they can't sell their $10/ounce hi-tech
> alternative, so they get these rumours started.  Just my opinion.
>         BTW, even if WD-40 DID contain some trace amounts of water, it's
> water-displacing properties should keep the moisture off of the part
> until it evaporates.  You'd probably get more water from atmospheric
> moisture in any case.

        FWIW, I worked in a sporting goods store and went to a
conference where some intellectual put on an hour-long session on the
properties of WD-40.  There was some disagreement about using WD-40
for rollerblade bearings, and most of the lecture still applies to
autos.  His basic premise was that WD-40 was a water-displacing
lubricant, and it prevented rust.  However, WD-40 did not work very
well as a penetrant.  It also attracted dust and dirt in high
quantities.  The whole point of the lecture was that WD-40 was great
for hinges and firearms (Displaces water/retards rust.)  However,
since it attracted large quantities of dirt, it was not acceptable for
the small roller bearings used in inline skates.
        How can this apply to our cars?  I don't know.  I think
electrical switches are prone to failure if they're too dirty.  Since
WD-40 attracts dirt, I wouldn't use it on my car.  What works?
According to the lecturer, any teflon-based lubricant.  I believe
liquid wrench is teflon-based, and that was our weapon of choice in
the store.  I'm sure this really doesn't make anything cut and dry,
and I still use WD-40 religiously on my car.  However, I do keep these
basic principles in mind when a new situation comes up.
        Thanks for listening, I'll dismount my high horse now...

Michael S. Lishego