Re: Inexpensive Brake Upgrade

To: michcam@senet.com.au
Subject: Re: Inexpensive Brake Upgrade
From: "Jerry Causey" <reecau@whidbey.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 10:42:15 +0800
What follows is strictly my opinion, and others on the list may not (probably,
even) agree. A dual hydraulic system may be do-able, but it won't be
cheap. You could use the system from a later B (I think '69 and later), but you
will  have to replace some or all of the hard brake lines, master cylinder, and
the unions. More cheaply, you should first flush the hydraulic fluid, then
rebuild or (better) replace all the parts with rubber bits. If you have a
Tourer, I've heard that using GT rear wheel cylinders reduces rear lockup under
heavy braking. New rotors are in order, unless your current ones are in perfect
shape. Don't have the old ones machined. You can buy them with cooling holes
cross-drilled in them for a lot of money. They definitely look cool, especially
with wire wheels, but I don't know if they will make a noticeable difference on
the street. Replace the old rubber flex hoses with new teflon-lined, stainless
braided brake hoses, or just new rubber ones, depending on how deep your
pockets are. Refill the system with Castrol brake fluid, and thoroughly
bleed it.Use new carbon fiber brake pads on the front. I don't know where to
buy them in Australia. The lowest price I have seen in the USA is from:
   Ted Schumacher
   TS Imported Automotive
   404 Basinger Rd.
   Pandora, Ohio, USA 45877
   800/543-6648 (USA only)  419/384-3022 - tech./general information
Back brakes don't work as hard, so a good brand of semi-metallic shoe should
do just fine. Have the rear drums trued at a machine shop. Spray the outside of
the drums with motorcycle case paint if rust isn't your favorite color. Don't
use any other kind of high-temp paint.

Regards,
Jerry Causey
1967 MGB GT