RE: Suppository Tools - Now ain't sandblasting a blast!!!

To: "JOHN HARDY" <hardwire@compuserve.com>,
Subject: RE: Suppository Tools - Now ain't sandblasting a blast!!!
From: "doug russell" <dr-doug@classic.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 97 14:50:46 UT
I have a few sky hooks and smoke benders laying around that I'll let go of
cheap!

On the more positive side of tool accumulation - I recently picked up a
Campbell Hausfeld 4 HP, 13 gallon  oilless compressor along with the CH
portable sand blaster kit.  WHAT A BLAST!!!!!!!  I've been experimenting
cleaning up some of the odd LBC bits and pieces laying around in the garage -
sandblasting is definitely fun.  But as I know very little about sand blasting
(yes I am using a respirator) and the art of compressed air usage, I have a
couple of questions:

1. I was using 0 and 00 grit sand (about $3 a 100lb bag) but am wondering if
other abrasives do a nicer job.  For example, a lbc ashtray I blasted to bare
metal seems a bit rough to the touch (used 00 grit sand).

2. What abrasives work best on rust or really greasy parts? What abrasive will
work best on painted wire wheels?

3. Any recommendations on blasting cabinets or other blasting strategies.  For
example, is a cabinet really worth the investment (if so what size) or is
blasting outdoors going to be just fine?

4. Off sand blasting, what air tools are most recommended (those to get first)
and at what quality range (home use only) - any suggestions other than the
impulsive 'git em all right now' (which I'm trying my best to fend off) will
be appreciated.

5. Any other compressed air accessories that are a must??

Dr. 'Anyone in these here parts need sumthin sand blasted' Doug