Re: Carb problem/Damper

To: jroverca@tiac.net
Subject: Re: Carb problem/Damper
From: Bert Otten <Bert.Otten@nni.nl>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 10:48:02 +0000
>>Ross wrote,

>> I have checked and my caps do not have gaskets or washers installed.  A
>quick check in my VB catolog, indicates that there should be a gasket (Thanks
>George).

Ross,

 I'm on the digest so I'm probably responding a little late, but I guess that
adding a gasket will not solve your problem.

I had the same problem with one of my carbs last year (HS4's) and I couldn't
figure out how this happened. The car ran fine so I figured it was just the
thread of the plastic damper cap which was on it's way out. I usually noticed
that the cap had come loose when the engine idled at a slightly lower RPM.

My solution is as follows: Remove the air filters and try to lift the carb
pistons with you finger. In my case one of the carbs, the one from which the
damper cap came loose, binds when trying to lift the carb piston. Not much but
compared to the other carb ther was a noticable difference. It appeared that
the jet was out of adjustment and was binding with the needle.
If you center the needle and jet again the problem will (probably) disappear.

Good luck

Bert Otten
'66 B