Re: Rear axle oil-seal question.

To: "Orjan Lovoll (BEST Consulting)" <a-orjanl@microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: Rear axle oil-seal question.
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 13:28:50 -0600
Orjan Lovoll (BEST Consulting) wrote:

> I have a '67 MG Midget which recently let loose a bunch of gear oil on one
> of my rear tires.  Not being an expert mechanic, I dont know if there are
> any pit falls I should be aware of in trying to replace the oil seal.
>
> If I pull the axel out is there a change of losing a gear into the
> differetial? Is there anything I need to know to change the oil seal?

I haven't seen any response to your query so I'll be the consolation prize.

If your smart enough to wonder if you can just pull the axle out, then you are
certainly smart enough to do this job. Yes, you can just pull the axle half
shaft out. Nothing is going to come out of place in the motor.

Putting it back together is "the reverse of assembly" for the most part. You do
sorta have to lift the axle splines into the diff and jiggle it to align.

As you now know what keeps the axle from falling out (those nuts and bolts) you
might invest in some replacements. Also, the Midget is known for twisting it's
axle shafts. It usually does this right at the splines as they slip into the
diff. Look at that kinda closely for wear.

I used Permatex #3 and a very thin gasket on the inner and outer mating surfaces
when I replaced the bearings on my old (defunct) '74 Midget. Often they are put
back together drive, however. I did pack the bearings lightly with grease as
they won't get lubricated until you make a few corners at speed.

Never, ever, use comprssed air such that it spins the bearings dry in their
races. This will destory the bearings. Nevermind the really cool sounds they
make at a couple thousand RPM. Not knowing any better, I did this to my Midget
and I was in constant worry, during the next 30,000+ miles of ownership, that
the bearings were on the brink of catastrophic failure.

It ain't a big job. Replace your brake shoes and turn the drums. The rears are
not self-adjusting so you tighten the bottom adjuster down until the drum won't
turn and then back off two "thumps" (which I think is a half turn).

Remember to re-adjust the brakes in a 100 miles or so as the shoes get aquainted
to the drums -- doesn't seem anyone can turn shoes anymore.

Take care of that metal-dash Midget. You don't see very many of them!

Next time you see Billy, tell'em I'm on Janet's side.
--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)
"Soaring with eagles is okay but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."