Re: Overdrive

To: DavidAndMichelleS@classic.msn.com
Subject: Re: Overdrive
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 1997 12:07:40 EST
Hi David,
  The primary purpose of the OD is to reduce wear and fuel consumption.
Used for that, the thing to do is to shift into OD when you reach
cruising speed.
  For fun, though, you can run through the sequence of 1, 2, 3, 3OD, 4,
4OD, etc and, in competition use, some drivers will take advantage of the
"split the difference" gearing of 3OD betwen 3 and 4.
  I would not leave the switch ON, though, because the OD will engage by
itself at about 25 mph, which means that the engine bogs down just at the
time you might be wanting that acceleration.
Bob