May buy a Midget today!

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: May buy a Midget today!
From: transerv@sprynet.com
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 09:42:28 -0800
I drove a 1974 Midget this weekend, and if the fellow can produce a clear title
today, will be the proud owner.

He's asking $1500.  The car shows 86000 miles on the odometer and it looks like
that may be accurate.  Tach does not work, oil pressure show 65lbs at speed and
40+lbs at idle....idle is high though, and air cleaners for carbs are in the
trunk.

I heard no unusual noises from the engine, a slight buzz in third gear from the
trans (stopped when I put my hand on the shifter), and saw no smoke while
driving.

The body looks rust free, but was apparently white, then green, and is now red.

The interior is not perfect but looks fair for it's age.

The fellow says the tach only needs a resistor to make it work, the brakes have
been redone, and the tires are new.

Car has wire wheels that look to track straight as the car drives by, and at
65-70 on the highway it runs straight and smooth.

Does this sound like a good deal?  Is the 74 a more desireable car due to the
chrome bumpers?  What pitfalls should I be wary of?

This would be my first MG in about 20 years, but my third midget.  I went to
college in a 65 and later owned a 68.

Robert Houston
transerv@sprynet.com