Re: O.D. reverse lockout for early "D" type?

To: EMPcoLWE@aol.com
Subject: Re: O.D. reverse lockout for early "D" type?
From: jello@dns.ida.net (Phil Bates)
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 23:06:31 -0700
>Hello list
>Being on the digest I may be asking a question that's been answered already.
>I have put an early, three synchro trans. with O.D. into my mga.
>I don't remember seeing any place to put a switch for the reverse O.D.
>lockout, but then, I wasn't looking for one either.
>Is there such a beast? The tranny is from an early car, so there shouldn't be
>a reverse light hook up.
>
>Eric

This is a twist on the same question.  There is no reverse lockout, there
never was a reverse lockout.  The way it works is the switch is a lockout
for all gears except 3rd and 4th.  It is actually a 3-4 enable switch, not a
1,2, R lockout switch.  If that switch is hooked up properly, you should
have no problem with reverse.  All overdrive MGB transmissions - 3 and 4
synchro - have this $15 contact switch - the same switch that is used as a
reverse lamp switch later MGB's with back-up lights.

Phil Bates
58 MGA
67 MGB
75 Jaguar XJ12C