Re: Redi Strip-- Pros vs. Cons

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Redi Strip-- Pros vs. Cons
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 10 Nov 1997 09:01:11 -0600
In <971109224553_1422230171@mrin39>, CyberKermi@aol.com wrote:

>I was just reading this months issue of Hemming's.  I came across a ad for
>the Redi Strip Company....They adverstise their "Alkaline Immersion" paint
>stripping method.

They use different solutions for different metals.  You can't use
alkaline on aluminum.

>So, my question is: what are the pros and cons of having
>your car acid dipped and shocked for rust...Is Redi Strip the only company in
>the US offering this service? Is this service a new idea?

Dip tanks have been around forever.  Old-timey engine shops use them
to clean out blocks before rebuilding, etc.  The process is no more
expensive than media blasting and does not run the risk of scarring or
warping the metal.  The down side is that the solvent must be removed
scrupulously from every nook and cranny of the body, else your paint
will bubble up.  My take is that it's great for removable components
(fenders, hoods), not so good for body tubs or unibodies because of
the nook and cranny problem.

There are lots of tanks around.  Look in your yellow pages for Metal
Finishing or something like that.

                                A. B. Bonds