Blown fuse problems

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Blown fuse problems
From: stuart farmer <k7wf@tdn.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 08:27:43 -0800
First let me thank all LIST members who recently welcomed me to the LIST.
I replied personally to all, but unfortunately some of those replies were
returned "Unable to deliver".

The following experience may help someone on the LIST:

My '79 MGB had a tendency to "eat" fuses each time I took a test drive.
The fuse block is located under the bonnet and it was always the fuse
connecting 5 and 6 (the third one down from the top) which blew. This fuse
is activated by turning on the Ign switch and controls the turn signals,
brake lights, tachometer, temp.gauge, petrol gauge, etc.

All these ceased to work when this fuse blew, and I proceeded to disconnect
each in turn to determine which was the cause of the problem.  I finally got
down to the brake light switch. Just one problem....I could not find it !!
It was not where one would expect it to be (on the front of the master
cylinder) so I hunted all over that LBC and finally found it hiding just
behind the servo for the brakes. After disconnecting the two wires to this
switch, I turned on the ignition and touched the two wires together.
BINGO...the fuse blew.
In the boot I found that the DPO had connected the left brake light directly
to ground. After connecting the wires to their correct terminals and
replacing the 17amp/35amp fuse all is well again.

One more problem solved. The time consumer being locating the brake light
switch. I'm sure glad I didn't have to pay for all those hours of labour !!

Stuart, 1979 MGB (Little Midge)
Stuart Farmer
2724 Florida St.
Longview,WA 98632          k7wf@tdn.com