Re: Midget King Pin Reamer ? (+)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Midget King Pin Reamer ? (+)
From: SteveB <steveb5815@geocities.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 10:59:39 -0500
Hi again MGB list!

I got booted form the list for a couple of days. What a pain. I
re-subscribed and am back up (for now). Is the host of the list on a Lucas
computer? ;-)
Thanks for the help Mike.

Anyway, I sent in a comment on the Midget kingpin thread that may have not
gotten posted or I completely missed it. Please excuse if this is
redundant. My message is at the bottom.

At 02:46 PM 11/5/97 -0500, you wrote:
>       If you screw up ...<snip> not worth the
>investment.
>...Art
>

>On Wed, 5 Nov 1997, David Earl Brown wrote:
>
>> Brian,
>> FYI, it only cost me $50 <snip>... As I recall, the reamer is $200+.
>> IMO, forget the reamer, unless of course you have 10 friends with
>> midgets. :>
>>
>> Yours,
>>
>> Dave Brown
>> 77 Midget 1500 (For Sale!)
>> 61 MGA Bastard (Picking it up 11/5)
>>
>> > Date: Sat, 1 Nov 97 19:31:12 -0500
>> > From: bchaffin <bchaffin@mail.shutter.net>
>> > Subject: Midget King Pin Reamer ?
>> >
>> > Can anyone tell me how a King Pin Reamer is used ? <snip>>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Brian

Hi everyone!
I'm a bit confused about this "reamer" (Midget Kingpin)thread. Do Midgets
have the same type of bronze bushings in the kingpins as the B's (and any
straight axle car for that matter)? What size (diameter) reamer(s) is
required? Are the top and bottom bushings of different sizes, requiring two
reamers? (Maybe 3 including the cross link.)I've changed kingpins on a '74
B (a loooonnnng time ago)and a '48 Ford (recently)and the principle was the
same although the B kingpins were much longer. Anyway, MSC Industrial
Supply Catalog (800-645-7270)sells straight and spiral flute hand reamers.
For example a 1" spiral flute reamer with a 5-7/16 flute length and 10-7/8
oa length costs about $32.00. Hopefully I'm not over-simplifying this
project. Just wanted to get some more info for future reference.
Thanks.
Steve Bettencourt
'79 MGB
'76 MGB