Re: MGB fuse question

To: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Subject: Re: MGB fuse question
From: Simon Matthews <simon_matthews@avanticorp.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 11:36:40 -0800
In general, headlights are either unfused (older cars) or each fillament
has its own fuse (= 4 fuses). Since bulbs can take high transient currents
when they fail, this could cause a fuse to blow. If one headlight goes, you
really don't want the other to fail at the same time!

Regards,
      Simon

At 02:11 PM 11/11/97 EST, ROBERT G. HOWARD wrote:
>Hi John,
>  It appears that the 1972 cars had two (maybe more) different wiring
>diagrams.  #13 in the Workshop Manual, for the cars with sequential seat
>belts, is the one that seems to fit my GT which was built in January '72.
>  The heavy brown wire is supposed to connect to terminal 2 on the light
>switch. It brings electricity from connection #1 on the fuse block.   The
>blue wire from terminal #1 on the light switch runs to the high/low
>flasher switch in the column, and leaves there as a blue (with red
>tracer) that goes forward to the headlights. This does not appear to be a
>fuzed circuit.
>  That a PO would have installed a fuze is good/bad, depending on one's
>assessment of relative perils, losing light vs fire and meltdown.  That
>the fuze would get warm has to do with the amount of current flowing
>through the fuze.
>  It would seem that if two headlamps @ 50 watts are on, then 100
>watts/12 v = 8.5 amps should run through a 30A fuse OK.
>  However, please don't go cutting any wires on my advice!  I am courious
>to see what responses you receive from others who are far more certain of
>things electrical than I am.
>Bob
>

>On Tue, 11 Nov 1997 09:16:57 -0500 (EST) John Middlesworth
><jape@email.unc.edu> writes:
>>My 72 B had some electrical work done in the past that I'm still
>>trying to
>>figure out.  Specifically, underneath the steering column cowl I find
>>that
>>a blue wire has had an in-line fuse installed.  If I remove the fuse
>>the
>>lights don't work.  The fuse is rated at 30 amps and seems to heat up
>>the
>>longer the lights are on (I haven't yet had them on for more than 10
>>minutes at a time).  What should I do about this fuse?  What type of
>>problem was it trying to correct?  What will keep it from heating up?
>>
>>John Middlesworth

---
Simon Matthews      Avant! Corporation
                    Phone:  (510) 413-8820