MG Flatulence

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MG Flatulence
From: Simon Bosworth <simon@hpi50.dsddhc.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 12:59:58 -0600
My 74 BGT is rather prone to making rude noises when changing gears
these cold mornings.  To be precise, it backfires prodigiuosly when I
get back on the accelerator after changing gears.  It works fine after
it gets really warm.  I presume that it is a problem with a cold inlet
manifold.  Setting the choke rich enough so that it doesn't idle very
well seems to reduce the backfiring.  Any ideas for avoiding this
problem?
P.S The snow all melted before I went home yesterday so I didn't find
out how the car would handle it :(  The 195 deg. thermostat helps with
getting the car warmed up.  It also helps the heater too :)  16 degrees
(not Celsius either) this morning brrr

Cheers,
Simon

--