RE: MGB Trim?

To: mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: MGB Trim?
From: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 10:14:00 -0800 (PST)
Soundsmore like a bad bondo job...
 ----------
From: mgs-owner
To: mgs
Subject: MGB Trim?
Date: Tuesday, November 11, 1997 10:09PM

Was cleaning up my B the other day and found that on the body panels,
under the doors, is a uniform stip of no-so-smooth paint.  The strip is
even and straight, with the paint above it being nice and smooth and the
paint below it seemingly painted over a slightly rougher surface.  The
strip is exactly mirrored on both sides of the car, which has been
repainted a few years hence by the previous owner.  A friend of mine has
been restoring old Triumphs for a few years and though he said he had
little experience with MGs, he'd never heard of any of them having any
type of side moulding but admitted that it appears that when the car was
repained, there had been _something_ there and that 'they' had left it
off in the final product.

So, my question is, could my 73 'B have been originally fitted with some
sort of trim along the bottom of the bodypanels between the wheels? ...or
is it more likely that someone _else_ had put aftermarket trim on there
which a later owner had pulled off at paint time? ...or?

On a related question, is there a way to find the production records for a
particular MG?  Like, if I wanted to see exactly which options had come
stock on the B (original color, etc.), is there a way to find out from,
say, the VIN or something?

Thanks!

neil doane