Re: MGB Rack & Pinion

To: NOGERA@prodigy.net
Subject: Re: MGB Rack & Pinion
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 09:35:40 EST
Hi Bob,
  Early MGBs had a grease fitting on the rack that was supposed to
receive the ten shots of oil.  Confusing?  Apparently, for MG stopped
installing the fitting.
  If you need to replenish gear oil on a car that lacks the grease
fitting, it's necessary to remove the Yoke Cover Plate, its shims,  the
yoke inside, the spring, the damper pad and then to pour in the oil.  The
yoke appears to have a hole in it.  It does, but the hole is for the
spring and the hole does not allow oil to flow past the damper pad.
  You will need a funnel and a tube to do this. The oil capacity is given
as 1/3 pint.  How one determines how much to add, when he can't tell how
much is already in the rack is a good question.
  When I faced that question, I resolved it by reasoning that if there is
already 1/3 pint in there, and another 1/3 pint is added, it won't cause
a problem unless the rack boots are too full to compress when the wheels
are turned.  If that were to happen, I would loosen one of the boot
clamps and let some oil dribble out.
Bob