Re: Brits believe in Oil indexing?

To: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Subject: Re: Brits believe in Oil indexing?
From: Ray McCrary <spook01@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 18:47:10 -0600
Bob,
As it was explained to me, the 20 is the pour index when cold and the 50 is
the load bearing when hot. In short, the running pressure would be the most
important.  I know that when the engines are built for racing, and the oil
passages are fully modded as well as the pump, the OP isn't that high.  It
has a different engine, but my Tiger only has about 20 psi at idle and 50
at full chat because of the clearanced rods.  Since all of the engines that
I have stuffed into the Tigers have been modded, all have had about the
same OP, and all have proven very reliable.
I have a friend at Pennzoil who may be able to get me a list, but I suspect
that it would favor the Pennzoil brand.If I can find something else out, I
will let you know.
I know that Valvoline once had a foaming problem at high rpm, but I assume
that that problem is history.
How about you petroleum engineers out there?  There must be at least 2 of
you guys left in Houston.

Regards, Ray