Re: Off Topic, again...

To: boballen@sky.net
Subject: Re: Off Topic, again...
From: bugide@juno.com (Larry Dickstein)
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 10:51:21 EST
Correct you are, Bob, although probably not in a Midget, unless the doors
were open for the intertial lateral stability supplied by the extended
mass.  If the top were down, the vertical stability of the smaller mass
would be aided, especially in light of the structural supports provided
by the windscreen frame and headrests.  Conversely, if the top were in
the up position, then all sorts of imbalances could occur, especially as
the speed increased.  It would then be likely that some sort of analomy
would occur, necessitating another try, probably in a different venue.
That is unless the first occurrence ended in a catastrophic event, such
as might occur when the smaller mass is thrown away from all vertical and
horitzontal supports.  This usually  happens only after sustained high
speeds and, fortunately, is not always obtainable.

Larry Dickstein
bugide@juno.com

There is no problem that cannot be solved
with either a checkbook or high explosives.

On Fri, 21 Nov 1997 08:56:55 -0600 Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
writes:
>I daydreamed through most of my science classes but I seemed to
>remember a concept where, if you could mount the smaller unit from a
central pivot point and then spin it around on this new axis, the
gyroscopic effect could have a profound impact on the larger mass.