MG Electronic gadgets

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MG Electronic gadgets
From: Simon Bosworth <simon@hpi50.dsddhc.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 10:35:57 -0600
Since we seem to have a MG & electronics thread going...
here is a description of a gadget I have built for my car, it is an
odometer/trip meter. It uses a 16 char LCD display and provides an
odometer + 2 'trip meters'.  It uses a PIC 16C84 micro.  It is designed
to be driven from a Hall effect IC and some magnets on the drive shaft.
I have the electronics all working, but it has got too cold to be poking
around under the car to fix the magnets and sensor.
Another project I am considering is a PIC based wiper delay.

On the voltage regulator subject an LM317T adjustable regulator + a
couple of resistors would provide 1.5A at 10V. It would probably need a
heatsink, (i.e bolted to the chasis). It costs 1.37 at Digikey. There
are other adjustable regulators that can provide up to 5A (LM338).  You
can find the datasheet for the LM317 at:
http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM317.html

Cheers,
Simon
--